Increasing incidence of ischemic stroke of younger individuals (particularly women) in this population-based study from Norway is consistent with reports from France, Sweden, Netherlands, and the US. This is occurring despite the declining incidence in older individuals in high-income countries. Overall, case fatality declined (in men) or remained stable (in women) in this study. These epidemiologic trends require further investigation to elucidate the causes for increasing stroke in younger age groups and understand the heterogeneity seen between and within different populations. Stroke incidence and associated mortality will need to be followed over time, ideally along with implementation of multifaceted strategies to stroke prevention that targets the high risk groups.
Sami Al Kasab, MD*
Mohammad Anadani, MD
Rohan Arora, MD
Hatim Attar, MD*
Bahar M. Beaver, MD
Alan C. Cameron, MB ChB, BSc (Hons), MRCP
Philip Chang, MD*
Kat Dakay, DO
Danielle de Sa Boasquevisque, MD
Victor J. Del Brutto, MD
Mark R. Etherton, MD, PhD*
Alejandro Fuerte, MD
Deepak Gulati, MD
Qing Hao, MD, PhD
Kathryn S. Hayward, PhD, PT
Richard Jackson, MD
Aristeidis H. Katsanos, MD, PhD*
Gurmeen Kaur, MBBS*
Abbas Kharal, MD, MPH
Houman Khosravani, MD, PhD
Tapan Mehta, MBBS, MPH*
Muhammad Zeeshan Memon, MD
Andrea Morotti, MD*
Lin Kooi Ong, PhD
Raffaele Ornello, MD
Lina Palaiodimou, MD
Robert W. Regenhardt, MD, PhD
Richa Sharma, MD, MPH
Shashank Shekhar, MD, MS*
Kristina Shkirkova, BSc
Alexis N. Simpkins, MD, PhD
Ravinder-Jeet Singh, MBBS, DM
Kara Jo Swafford, MD
Burton J. Tabaac, MD
Elena Zapata-Arriaza, MD
- ►author interview (32)
- ►basic sciences (19)
- ►clinical (352)
- ►Conference (68)
- ►controversy (6)
- ►diagnosis and imaging (128)
- ▼epidemiology and genetics (83)
- “Do You Understand The Words That Are Coming Out of My Mouth?”: Impact of Language Barriers on Stroke Care
- A Banana a Day May Also Send the Doctor Away
- ABCA1 Deficiency Worsens Stroke Outcome
- Alcohol Intake and the Risk of Stroke
- Algorithmic Stroke Neurology In All Its Glory
- Anticoagulation and Cerebral Microhemorrhages
- Article Commentary: "Disparities and Temporal Trends in the Use of Anticoagulation in Patients With Ischemic Stroke and Atrial Fibrillation"
- Article Commentary: "Smoking and Risk of Ischemic Stroke in Young Men"
- Article Commentary: “Long-Term Exposure to Particulate Matter Air Pollution Is a Risk Factor for Stroke”
- Artificially Sweetened Beverages: Sweet Taste with Sour Consequences
- Atrial fibrillation – related strokes are associated with substantial long-term morbidity and mortality
- Breakfast Intake Inversely Associated With Incident Stroke
- Breath Well During Sleep; Have Less Risk for Recurrent Ischemic Strokes
- Calorie-free, But Perhaps Not Risk-free: Artificial Sweeteners and the Risk of Stroke and Dementia
- Can the air we breathe be a risk factor for stroke?
- Cancer and Stroke in the Young Adult
- Cerebral venous thrombosis may be associated with anemia.
- Changes in Stroke Incidence and Case Fatality in Norway
- Do Long Work Hours Increase the Risk of Stroke? An Observational Study From the CONSTANCES Cohort
- Does staying fit really help prevent strokes?
- Donut Daily for Stroke Prevention?
- Drink up some Bud…just not too much!
- Early Appearance of Spot Sign on CT Perfusion Associated with Hematoma Expansion and Poor Outcome in Small Retrospective Study
- Eating Healthy: Tips for Stroke Prevention
- Effects of Particulate Matter and Living Near Major Roads on Brain Structure
- Effects of weather and air pollution on stroke incidence in Seoul, Korea
- Exploring the Depths of the Gene Pool: Genetic Overlap between Ischemic Stroke Subtypes
- Genetic Study of Intracranial Aneurysms
- Genetic underpinnings of renal dysfunction associated with large vessel stroke: genetics as a window to understand stroke pathophysiology
- Genetics of Lacunar Stroke
- GWAS of Intracranial Aneurysm Identifies New Chromosome 7 Association
- Heart Failure Associated With All Types of Strokes at Long-term Follow Up
- Heart Rate Variability and Incident Stroke Risk in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study
- Hemorrhagic stroke risk increased with certain NSAIDs: A meta-analysis of the data
- Impact of Air Pollution on Stroke Mortality
- Impaired Higher-Level Functional Capacity Predicts Stroke Occurrence
- Inequality in Stroke Mortality: Poor People Die From Strokes More Often
- Interleukin 16 may lead to carotid plaque stabilization and reduce risk of stroke
- Intracranial Aneurysm Growth and Rupture Have Risk Factors in Common in a Large Meta-Analysis
- Inverse Relationship between HDL2-C Subfraction and Carotid Intima-Media Thickness
- Is Warfarin Prejudice International?
- Ischemic Stroke Incidence in Young Adults
- Keep your friends close to keep stroke away!
- Left atrial cardiomyopathy may be a cause of thromboembolism in the absence of atrial fibrillation
- Life after Stroke? Changes in functional outcome over the first year post stroke
- Location of Brain Infarct and Gender is Associated with Risk of Dementia: A Review of AGES-Reykjavik Study
- Magnesium levels and Risk of Stroke in Women
- MHTFR C677T Mutation Is Associated With an Increased Risk of Lacunar Stroke
- Mind Your 'P's & 'Q's: P-Wave Morphology & Incident Stroke
- Neurofibromatosis type 1 and its relationship with stroke
- Once Upon a Time in Mexico: debunking of the Hispanic Paradox
- One short of a Baker’s dozen: A Twelve-SNP Genetic Risk Score Identifies Individuals at Increased Risk for Future Atrial Fibrillation and Stroke
- Peri-menopausal vasomotor symptom trajectories and carotid intima media thickness
- Physical Activity and Stroke Risk: A Role for Moderate Physical Activity
- Postural Instability, Asymptomatic Cerebrovascular Disease, and Cognitive Decline
- Preexisting Heart Disease Underlies Newly Diagnosed Atrial Fibrillation After Acute Ischemic Stroke
- Premature Ventricular Complexes on Routine ECG and Ischemic Stroke Risk
- Rare Variants in Intracranial Hemorrhage
- Recent and Regular Use of Cocaine Significantly Increases Odds of IS in a Case-Control Study of Young Adults
- Recurrent ischemic stroke risk in children
- Red Meat and Processed Meat Consumption Associated with Increased Risk of Stroke
- Reducing Recurrent Strokes with Secondary Risk-Factor Modification — Reflections from Temporal Trends in a Population-Based Study
- Rising Incidence of Stroke in Pregnancy: What’s to Blame?
- Risk Factors Associated with Presence of Unruptured Intracranial Aneurysms in a Large, Cross-sectional Imaging Study
- Same, But Different - Genome-Wide Association of Studies of Stroke in African Americans
- Serum leptin is not associated with stroke risk.
- Sickle Cell Trait and Incident Ischemic Stroke
- Silent Brain Infarctions Are Associated With an Increased Risk of Future Stroke
- Something in the Air...Causing Stroke?
- Statins and Intracerebral Hemorrhage — Causation or Coincidence?
- Stroke after a Heart Attack – A double whammy
- Stroke and uncontrolled risk factors in Sri Lanka, a sample of the urban developing world
- Stroke in Paradise: Implementing and Evaluating Prevention in a Afro-Caribbean Population in Martinique
- Stroke Incidence Along Ethnic Lines in the Netherlands
- Systolic Blood Pressure Control: Increased mortality in patients if too low?
- Understanding Changing Temporal Trends in Dementia — Does Improving Vascular Health Have a Role?
- Unlocking the Genetics of Lacunar Stroke through Genome-wide Association Studies
- Using CHADS2 and CHA2DS2-VASc Scores to Predict Atrial Fibrillation after Stroke
- Validating the Montreal Cognitive Assessment for Stroke and TIA Patients
- What's Behind Childhood Arterial Ischemic Stroke?
- What’s In a Number? Looking at eGFR and its relation to Stroke Outcome
- Who gets higher rates of thrombolytic therapy? A retrospective study from a Swedish registry.
- YKL-40 Levels in Association with an Increased Risk of Ischemic Stroke
- ►health care (23)
- ►hemorrhage (20)
- ►outcomes (21)
- ►pathogenesis (12)
- ►policy (23)
- ►prevention (30)
- ►prognosis (33)
- ►rehabilitation (9)
- ►special article collection (1)
- ►treatment (122)
- ►Uncategorized (316)
- ►World Stroke Day (10)